Wednesday, August 12, 2009

ReaLiz: Mexico 2 - 1 United States; a bitter sweet victory

As any person can imagine, soccer is a major part of living a Latino lifestyle. So as the days led up to today, a major component in our discussions was about none other than the upcoming game with the Mexico and United States national soccer teams at the grand Estadio Azteca in Mexico City.

So as I sat and listened to the never ending discussion about "Wuthering Heights," I could only turn and look at the clock. Hoping that time could possibly go by faster, allowing me to watch just a while of the classic game. As I got home I quickly had a scavenger hunt, going mad because I couldn't find the remote. At last I found it, and I was able to watch 20 minutes of the highly talked about game.

As the camera's gave a rotation of the Stadium, a sea of people in green Mexico soccer jerseys cheered with every move of a Mexican soccer player. Already a goal had been made by American Charlie Davies in 9 minutes at the start of the game. But the American glory lasted only 10 minutes, the Mexican team was quick to respond with an amazing 27-yard shot from 29-year-old Mexican player Israel Macias Castro.

Yet, both teams made it clear that this wasn't the end of the game. Both teams were looking for a victory that would stand for so much more. If the U.S. won, they would end the losing streak that they have against Mexico in the Mexican's turf. The American team is ranked as number two in the world, right behind the Brazilian team, their B-team had a major loss of 5-0 against Mexico last month in the Gold Cup. While the Mexican team needed this to just have hope that they would get to next years World Cup.

The Mexican team used their small stature and amazing speed to their advantage and made another goal at the 81-minute. By none other than Miguel Sabah, who hadn't even touched the ball in this game before his goal.

The game came to it's closing seconds, and all I could help to feel was a mixed sense of happiness and devastation. My father is a devoted Mexican soccer team fan, yet I stand on the other side, always being critical of their mistakes. My dad complains that I have no pride in my heritage, but could this really be the case? While I cheer on the American team, my dad just looks at me with disappointment. These soccer matches may just be a game, but each time I ask myself do I really have no pride in my heritage? Could my lack of liking for a soccer team mean that I see my heritage as a burden, and more something that I can criticize? While my dad rubs in my face that Mexico won, I can only hope that the U.S. will win next time, showing him that America is better.

For a summary of the game go to: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=262901&cc=5901

No comments:

Post a Comment