Wednesday, November 11, 2009

That Religious Guy: You just gotta love sonnets!




..... So, on one of the rarest occasions ever, I'll actually blog about something not religious. Hopefully.


..... Our upcoming project for Honors Junior English is to compose a sonnet, memorize it, and present it to the class. Being the literary loving word wizard I am (or hope to be someday) I am up for the challenge. Since we've started this sonnet section of the curriculum, I've been entranced by Shakepeare's Sonnet 130, John Donne's metaphysical conceits, and the Petrarchan rhyme scheme to the point that I've started a notebook of poetry! A bit cheesy I know, but my goal is to fill those 70 pages with the best metaphors, similies, and hyperboles all rolled into separate poems. Everyone needs a creative outlet and if I ever want to be that word wizard minus the hat and wand I'm going to need all the practice I can get. Besides, these extra poems might come in handy when I start courting or wooing a girl haha. Old-fashioned words indeed.


..... Everyone is always encouraging teens to exercise their bodies, but strengthening your imagination is important too. In an age of pointless reality TV shows and perpetual cycles of movie re-makes, our generation needs to freshen up society with one big break-the-mold breath mint. The whole "I-meet-vampire-and-we-fall-in-love" routine is starting to get stale. Somebody needs to come up with new concepts and ideas in order to drive a stake through the heart of this bloody genre.


..... For all you readers out there, hopefully the words you read can inspire you to write some words of your own. Get out there and get your hands dirty! Carpe Diem! Seize the day! [Insert Positive Reinforcement Here]


- Jeremy Dela Cruz

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh I am so excited for this!!! :D I've been working extra hard I hope you do well x]

    And how funny we both have poem notebooks WEIRD :o

    ReplyDelete